Last updated on August 17th, 2023 at 04:48 am
The best RV generator can make all the difference, providing you with the convenience and comfort you need to enjoy your travels to the fullest.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take you on a journey to explore the world of RV generators, helping you make an informed decision that will elevate your camping experience. So, let’s dive in and discover the power behind a top-notch RV generator!
When it comes to embarking on memorable RV adventures, having a reliable power source is an absolute must.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: Westinghouse iGen 4500 RV Generator – Check Reviews and Best Price
- Best Budget: WEN RV Generator 4750-Watt Portable – Check Reviews and Best Price
- Most Versatile – Champion 3400 Dual Fuel RV Portable Inverter Generator – Best Price
Understanding the Importance of a Quality RV Generator
Picture this: You’re in the breathtaking wilderness, surrounded by towering trees and majestic mountains.
While the serenity of nature is awe-inspiring, you still want to enjoy modern amenities in your home away from home.
Here comes the superhero of your RV – the generator! It’s the heartbeat of your motorhome, providing electricity to charge your devices, run appliances, power the lights, and even keep the air conditioning humming during those scorching summer days.
But why settle for just any generator when you can have the best? A high-quality RV generator ensures reliable power, fewer breakdowns, and quieter operation, allowing you to savor the tranquility of nature without unnecessary disturbances.
Moreover, a top-rated portable generator for camping consumes fuel more efficiently, saving you money in the long run and reducing your environmental footprint.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best RV Generator
- Power Output: The first and most crucial factor to consider is the power output of the generator. You’ll need to assess the electrical requirements of your RV, including the wattage needed to run all your appliances simultaneously. Opt for a generator that can handle the total load comfortably.
- Fuel Type: RV generators typically come in three fuel options: gasoline, diesel, and propane. Each has its pros and cons, so choose the one that aligns with your preferences and convenience.
- Noise Level: Camping is all about tranquility and harmony with nature. A noisy generator can disrupt that peace. Look for models specifically designed to operate quietly.
- Portability: RV travelers are always on the move, so a portable generator is a must. Consider the size, weight, and ease of transport when making your selection.
- Runtime: Long-lasting power supply is essential, especially if you plan to be off-grid for extended periods. Choose a generator with a generous runtime on a single tank of fuel.
- Safety Features: Safety should never be compromised. Look for features like low-oil shutoff and overload protection to safeguard both your appliances and the generator itself.
- Brand Reputation: Opt for well-established brands with a reputation for producing reliable and durable generators. Reading customer reviews can provide valuable insights.
The Top 5 Best RV Generators for Your Adventures
Alright, drumroll, please! Let’s meet the top 5 RV generators that are ready to power up your camping escapades:
Best Overall: Westinghouse iGen 4500
The Westinghouse iGen 4500 steals the show with its outstanding performance and reliability. With a powerful engine and 4500 peak watts, it can handle all your RV power needs. Plus, it comes with remote start, making your life even more convenient on the road.
|Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment
|Recommended Uses For Product
|Portable, Digital Display, Electric Start, Overload Protection, Super Quiet, Low Oil Shutdown, Muffler, Hour Meter, Fuel Gauge, Remote Start, Telescoping HandlePortable, Digital Display, Electric Start, Overload Protection, Super Quiet, Low Oil Shutdown, Muffler, Hour Meter, Fuel Gauge, Remote Start, Telescoping Handle
- 4500 Peak Watts and 3700 Rated Watts at Less Than 3% THD; Telescoping Handle; Gas Powered; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start
- Features a 5–20R 120V Duplex Household Outlet, an RV-Ready Tt-30R 30 Amp Outlet and Two USB Outlets – Great Choice for Travel Trailers or Home Use – Strong Enough to Run All Your Essentials
- Led Data Center: Rotating Digital Display Shows Fuel Level, Power Output, Remaining Run Time, Voltage Output, and Lifetime Hours
- Extremely Quiet, Extremely Fuel Efficient: as Low as 52 dBA Noise Output and Up to 18 Hour Run Time on a 3. 4 Gallon Gas Tank – Features “Economy Mode” for Maximum Fuel Efficiency
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed By 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage and Nationwide Customer Service Network
Best Budget: WEN 56475 4750-Watt Portable Generator
Hey, budget-conscious travelers, we’ve got you covered too! The WEN 56475 offers excellent value for your money. With 4750 surge watts and a fuel-efficient engine, this budget-friendly generator won’t disappoint.
Best Quiet Operation: A-iPower 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
For those who savor peaceful camping moments, the A-iPower 2000-Watt Inverter Generator is a dream come true. Its whisper-quiet operation won’t disturb the serenity around you, while still providing ample power for your needs.
Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
Champion still holds its ground as a reliable choice for RV enthusiasts. With dual fuel capability, it offers versatility and a clean power supply for your sensitive electronics. Not to mention its RV-ready design for easy setup.
|Champion Power Equipment
|Gasoline, Propane (LPG)
|120 Volts (AC)
|USB Adapter, Propane (LPG) Hose, Engine Oil, Oil Funnel, 8/10mm Wrench, Spark Plug Wrench, Reversible Phillips/Flathead ScrewdriverUSB Adapter, Propane (LPG) Hose, Engine Oil, Oil Funnel, 8/10mm Wrench, Spark Plug Wrench, Reversible Phillips/Flathead Screwdriver
|23.2″L x 17.7″W x 20.1″H
- DUAL FUEL: Operate your 4500-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (10W-30 oil included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- ELECTRIC START: Battery included, plus Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all your controls in one spot
- QUIET OPERATION: 61 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project or backup power for your home, featuring 4500 starting watts and 3500 running watts with up to 14 hours run time on gasoline
- CLEAN POWER: RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and 12V DC outlet with dual USB adapter
- CHAMPION SUPPORT: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
Honda EU2200i Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
Honda’s reputation for quality shines through with the EU2200i. Known for its whisper-quiet operation, it’s a popular choice among RVers. The inverter technology ensures stable power for your gadgets, perfect for tech-savvy travelers.
Maintenance Tips to Keep Your RV Generator Running Smoothly
Regular maintenance is essential to ensure your RV generator serves you faithfully throughout your journeys. Follow these tips to keep it running smoothly:
- Regular Oil Changes: Just like your car, the generator’s engine requires periodic oil changes to function optimally. Refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines for the recommended schedule.
- Air Filter Cleaning: A clogged air filter can hinder performance. Clean or replace it regularly to maintain efficient airflow.
- Fuel Stabilization: If you store your RV for an extended period, add a fuel stabilizer to prevent fuel degradation and potential starting issues.
- Battery Check: Inspect the generator’s battery and terminals regularly. Clean any corrosion and ensure a secure connection.
- Load Management: Avoid overloading the generator, as it can lead to premature wear and tear. Be mindful of your power consumption.
- Run It Regularly: Even when not in use, start the generator occasionally to keep its internal components lubricated and functioning.
I just can’t go past the Westinghouse generator for my top pick, it’s well priced, reviewed, and purchased if you look at the numbers on Amazon.
With the best RV generator by my side, my camping adventures will reach new heights of comfort and convenience. I will remember to assess my power needs, consider the fuel type, prioritize quiet operation, and invest in a reputable brand to ensure a top-notch experience.
I will adhere to regular maintenance practices to extend the life of my generator and enhance its performance.
So, as you prepare to hit the road and embrace the beauty of nature, let the power of a reliable RV generator be your faithful companion. Happy camping!