Last updated on September 21st, 2023 at 12:43 am
Look no further than the REI Base Camp 4 tent if you are you looking to upgrade your camping game. Want a spacious tent that will keep you cozy even during a surprise rainstorm? This tent is designed for all-season use to handle everything from hot summer days to cold winter nights. With this comprehensive REI Base Camp 4 Review, Let’s explore what makes this product a fantastic addition to your outdoor gear arsenal.
What You Get with the REI Base Camp 4 Tent
This tent offers plenty of space for four campers and comes in two different colors—green and gray. It has two large doors that make it easy to get in and out of and three built-in pockets for storing small items like flashlights or keys. Adjustable venting options allow you to control the temperature inside the tent while still enjoying fresh air circulation.
The REI Base Camp 4 is made of durable fabric that protects against wind, snow, and rain. Its waterproof coating helps keep moisture out while allowing some breathability. It also features several guys points around the tent’s perimeter to ensure stability in heavy winds or storms. The poles are made with lightweight aluminum and fiberglass, so they won’t add too much weight to your pack when you’re hiking into your campsite. And last but not least, it comes with a convenient carrying bag for easy transport and storage.
- Dome architecture is designed to be highly stable while maximizing interior livability
- Wide-mouth door orientation gives all sleepers equal access to the 2 doors—no need to crawl over a tent mate to get in and out
- Large doors have solid fabric for privacy and mesh for ventilation; doors tuck into roof pockets
- 2 roof vents plus a low side vent create “chimney effect” ventilation, helping control condensation; zippered access allows campers to adjust the vents from inside the tent
- Color coding on poles and sleeves for simple setup
- Large pole-supported vestibule and a smaller stake-out vestibule provide covered storage front and rear
- Coated 150-denier polyester Oxford floor is abrasion- and puncture-resistant
- Full-coverage polyester rainfly is resistant to stretching and UV rays
- Multiple pockets and hang loops help organize gear and essentials inside the tent
- Reflective trims and detailing help you see your tent at night
- Vestibule stake-out loops large enough to accommodate skis or split boards
- Includes a heavy duty-storage sack with shoulder sling, stakes, guylines and tighteners, as well as a pole-repair tube, a pole bag and a stake bag
- Tent’s mesh is solution-dyed, reducing both water and energy used in the manufacturing process
- The REI Co-op Base Camp 4 Footprint (Item #136059) is sold separately; not compatible with any model year 2018 or older Base Camp 4 footprints
Setup & Performance
Setting up this tent is fairly straightforward due to its intuitive design and color-coded system on the poles. Assembling this bad boy should take about twenty minutes or less depending on how many people are helping out—it’s definitely easier with more hands on deck! Once you have it set up, you’ll have plenty of room for up to four people (or however many people fit comfortably for you). And since it can handle temperatures down to -4°F (-20°C), it will keep everyone warm even in freezing weather conditions overnight.
REI Base Camp 4 Reviews
REI Co-op Base Camp 4 Tent
- Price: $449
- Weight: 16.8 lbs (7.6 kg)
- Floor size: 100” x 86” (254cm x 218cm)
- Peak height: 60” (152cm)
- Number of compartments: 1
- Capacities: 4 person / 6 person
- Shape: Dome
What we like: With unbeatable weather protection, you can use this product at any temperature, from scorching hot to freezing cold. Crafted with only the highest quality materials for guaranteed satisfaction!
What we don’t: Lower peak height, more expensive
Fantastic tent, exceptionally well made!
After much research (too much, really) I plunged and bought the BC4. I’m 5’7 and could use a tad more headroom, but it’s okay. What really stood out was the first night in the Smokies (where I typically go…often wet/humid). Terrible storms rolled in…nature threw it all at me (high winds, torrential rain,…). But this thing held like a tank and still had excellent airflow. EASY set up and break down for 1 person. Couldn’t be happier!
Basecamp in style
I bought this as a basecamp/car camping tent. I would have preferred standing height, but this was what I found at the time. Despite that, I love my REI Base Camp 4. The floor print is symmetrical, so the vestibule side can for on either side. It keeps me warm and dry. I can set it up by myself, even in the wind.
|Seasons||3 – 4-season|
|Packaged Weight||16 lbs. 14 oz.|
|Packed Size||10 x 20 inches|
|Floor Dimensions||100 x 86 inches|
|Floor Area||59.7 square feet|
|Vestibule Area||27 + 17 square feet|
|Peak Height||60 inches|
|Number of Doors||2 doors|
|Number of Poles||5|
If you’re looking for a reliable four-person camping tent that won’t break the bank, check out the REI Base Camp 4! Its sturdy construction and adjustable ventilation options make this product perfect for any camping adventure—whether it’s a weekend at home or an epic road trip across country! So grab some friends or family members, pack your bags, and get ready for an unforgettable experience under this amazing shelter! Happy trails!